Salcombe Regis, DevonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Salcombe Regis, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Salcombe Regis, Devon|
|Poor Law Union||Honiton PLU|
|Parish registers: 1702|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1609|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
SALCOMBE-REGIS (St. Peter and St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Honiton, hundred of East Budleigh, Woodbury and S. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (E. N. E.) from Sidmouth. This place was anciently held in royal demesne. The parish comprises about 2700 acres, and is diversified with hills. The church is an ancient structure partly in the early English style, with some Norman details, and a handsome embattled tower having a circular turret. There was formerly a chapel dedicated to St. Clement and St. Mary Magdalene.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Salcombe Regis, Devon parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Salcombe Regis, Devon Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241304.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Lewis,Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 1-4. Date accessed: 31 October 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 19 February 2014.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 13 February 2014.
- This page was last modified on 30 November 2014, at 19:29.
- This page has been accessed 966 times.