Saline County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Saline County Missouri ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Saline County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||November 25, 1820|
|Address|| Saline County Courthouse|
101 E Arrow Street
Marshall, MO 63340
Saline County Website
County Clerk has birth and death records 1883-1885;
Marshall Public Library has cemeter and genealogy records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- Arrow Rock
- Malta Bend
- Salt Springs
- Sweet Springs
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Saline County, Missouri: 1876 Taxpayers and Biographies at Ancestry.com ($)
- Portrait and biographical record of Lafayette and Saline Counties, Missouri : containing biographical sketches of prominent and at Ancestry.com ($)
- Saline County, Missouri Cemetery Records, Vol. 2-7 at Ancestry.com ($)
- Saline County, Missouri: Ridge Park Cemetery Records at Ancestry.com ($)
- Antioch Cemetery, Liberty
- Blue Lick Union Church and Cemetery, Marshall
- Christ Lutheran Church Cemetery, Liberty
- Fairview Cemetery, Marshall
- Fairview Cemetery, Sweet Springs
- Heath Creek Cemetery, Blackwater
- Rose Valley Cemetery, Houstonia
- Sunset Hill Cemetery, Marshall
For tips on accessing Saline County, Missouri census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Immaculate Conception, Shackelford
- 1849-1876 - Immaculate Conception, Shackelford, Baptism Index 1849-1876. Batch C511901 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1867-1885 - Immaculate Conception, Shackelford, Marriage Index 1867-1885. Batch M511901 at FamilySearch - free.
La Inmaculada Concepcion, San Diego de Alejandria
- 1723-1866 - La Inmaculada Concepcion, San Diego de Alejandria, Baptism Index 1723-1866. Batch C602335 at FamilySearch - free.
St. Joseph, Slater
- 1866-1876 - St. Joseph, Slater, Baptism Index 1866-1876. Batch C515041 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1884-1885 - St. Joseph, Slater, Marriage Index 1884-1885. Batch M515041 at FamilySearch - free.
St. Peter's, Marshall
- 1871-1876 - St. Peter's, Marshall, Baptism Index 1871-1876. Batch C511891 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1872-1885 - St. Peter's, Marshall, Marriage Index 1872-1885. Batch M511891 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Saline County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
A Portrait and biographical record of Lafayette and Saline counties, Missouri ... (1893) is available online free from Google Books. The first part of the book contains biographies of the U.S. presidents. The second part, starting on p.111, contains biographies Lafayette and Saline county residents.
- Rainey, Thomas Claiborne. Along the old trail, volume I, pioneer sketches of Arrow Rock and vicinity. Marshall, Missouri : Daughters of the American Revolution. Marshall Chapter, 1914.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- Rigney, Francis E. Diamond Jubilee of The Annunciation and Immaculate Conception Parish, The First Catholic Church in Saline Co., Mo., The Irish Settlement A.D. 1840. [S. l.] : Jubilee Committee, 1927.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- History of Saline County, Missouri : including a history of its townships, cities, towns and villages. St. Louis, Missouri : Missouri Historical Co., 1881.
- Online atFamilySearch (Free)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Saline County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1904 Saline County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
Civil War, 1861-1865
Civil War service men from Saline County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Saline County.
- - 5th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry, Company D, which became Marmaduke's Escort Company, Missouri Cavalry
- - 5th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company D
:- 5th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company E
- - 71st Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company B
- - 71st Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
:- 5th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
:- 5th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company C
:- 71st Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Milita (Union), Company F
:- 71st Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Milita (Union), Company G
:- 71st Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Milita (Union), Company H
:- 71st Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Milita (Union), Independent Company
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Saline County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1835-1874 - Saline County Birth Index 1835-1874. Batch C515722 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883-1885 - Saline County Birth Index 1883-1885. Batch C583919 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1820-1836 - Saline County Marriage Index 1820-1836. Batch M515721 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1835-1874 - Saline County Marriage Index 1835-1874. Batch M515722 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1881 - Saline County Marriage Index 1875-1881. Batch M515723 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Saline County Marriage Index 1881-1885. Batch M515724 at FamilySearch - free.
- Saline County, Missouri Marriages, 1820-81, Vols. 1-4 at Ancestry.com ($)
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1885 - Saline County Death Index 1883-1885. Batches B583921 and B514596 at FamilySearch - free.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Marshall Public Library
214 North Lafayette
Marshall, MO 65340
Phone: (660 )886-3391
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "Saline County"|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Saline County, MO Genealogy Forum|
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Saline County, Missouri. Page 405 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f4/Igimissourir.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 10 November 2014, at 22:03.
- This page has been accessed 9,051 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page