Salt, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Salt, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Stafford PLU|
|Parish registers: 1843|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
SALT, with Enson, a township, in the parish of St. Mary and St. Chad, Stafford, union of Stafford, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N. division of the county of Stafford, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Stafford. A church dedicated to St. James has been erected and endowed by Earl Talbot, in whom the patronage is vested. There is also a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Salt St James the Great was formed in 1843 formerly a chapel of Stafford St Mary, Staffordshire
Salt parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|SALT PARISH (1843) Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1843-1878 Mar none Bur none
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1843-1858 Mar Bur 1844-1858
Marriages from 1852 and burials from 1844 are with the incumbent at the church
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Salt, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474623.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 5-11. Date accessed: 06 November 2012.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:48.
- This page has been accessed 1,221 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page