Salt Lake Holladay South Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
This is a locally operated Family History Center serving the Holladay, Holladay North, Holladay South and Valley View areas of Salt Lake County, Utah.
- Our center's services are free and open to the public.
- We invite all who are interested in family history to visit our center.
- We will print a large, color fan chart of your ancestry to help you decide where to focus your research.
- Our center has a microfilm reader for patrons use.
- You can order any microfilms available through the FamilySearch Catalog and have them delivered to our center for viewing.
- Our center has free access to several premium Genealogy websites including Ancestry.com.
Family History Center volunteers can show you how to use the center’s resources. To make your visit most effective, collect and organize the information you already have. Bring as much information as you have about the ancestor you wish to research, including available birth, marriage and death information. FHC staff can help you use that information to begin creating a Family Group Record.
High-Quality Videos are available for the rookie genealogist and the seasoned veteran alike. The Genealogy in 5 Minutes playlist demonstrates how, in just a few minutes, individuals with little or no genealogy experience can make some headway on their family’s history.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 4917 South Viewmont, Holladay, Utah 84117
- We are located in the east end of the building directly across from the ball field. If the door is locked, ring the doorbell just left of the East doors.
Holiday Schedule: Closed Thurs -July 24th, Mon-Sept 1, Thurs - Nov 27, Wed - Dec 24, Thurs - Dec 25, Wed - Dec 31, 2014
- We occasionally close unexpectedly because of inclement weather or illness.Please call for information about unexpected alterations to our normal operation hours.'
Family History Center Directors:
Ryan Wright 801-272-9302
- Assistant Directors: Danette Wright
|M - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm||Lynn McCarthy||801-419-7804|
|T - 10:00 am - 12:00 pm||Bill Whittlesey||801-272-3928|
|T - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm||Don Racine||801-466-4015|
|W - 9:00 am - 11:30 am||Helen Collins||801-278-6643|
|W - 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm||
|W - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm||
Betty Jo Bronson
|H - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm||MIchael Robbins/Indexing||
- The FamilySearch web site hosts: • The Ancestral File. • The International Genealogical Index. • The Pedigree Resource File database. • US Social Security Death Index • Vital Records Index • 1880 United States Census • 1881 British Isles Census• 1881 Canadian Census.
- You can order any microfilm available through the FamilySearch Catalog and have it delivered to our center for viewing. To have a microfilm sent to our center, select the "Salt Lake Holladay South Stake Family History Center" as your default center. You will recieve an e-mail when your film(s) arrive at our center. The cost is $7.50 for a short term loan which includes shipping both ways. For instructions on how to order a microfilm, view Online Film Ordering.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. These include:
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Access Newspaper Archive
- Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War: Research Database, Letters and Diaries, Images, Photographs, Posters and Ephemera
- ArchivDigital Online
- Find My Past
- Fold3.com (Previously known as Footnote.com)
- The Genealogist
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- Heritage Quest Online
- Historic Map Works Library Online
- Paper Trail
Hardware and Equipment
- 8 Computers
- 1 Microfilm Reader
- 2 Printers
- WIFI access for personal laptops
- Large format, color printer for printing beautiful fan charts
Staff Research Specialties
- FamilySearch has produced and continues to provide professional on-line classes for Family History research. These classes include research in the following countries: Australia, Canada, England, Europe, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Scandinavia, Spain and The United States. Additionally, you will find focused skill level classes for Advanced, Beginner, and Intermediate research and more!
- One-On-One Assistance
Family History Training Meetings:
- 1st Tuesday of each month, 7 - 8 p.m.
Anyone interested in Family History and Indexing is welcome!
- Why Family History Is Important
- Research Wiki
- Utah Death Certificate Index
- Names in Stone - Cemetery maps
Volunteer at the Center
Contact us if you would like to volunteer a few hours each week as a consultant in our Family History Center.
- This page was last modified on 24 January 2015, at 03:08.
- This page has been accessed 2,124 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More