San Diego California FamilySearch LibraryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
619-584-7668 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Directors, Ross McCollum and Jane McCollum
Calendar of Events
Click here for Current Calendar of Events
Hours and Holidays
Tuesday, Friday and Saturday 10 AM. to 3 PM
Wednesday and Thursday 10 AM. to 9 PM
CLOSED Sunday and Monday
November 24-30, December 19-31 & January 1. Please check back for updates to 2014 schedule.
In San Diego at 4195 Camino Del Rio South on the east side of the building with ample free parking. We are located across the street from the Penske Truck Rental Center.
For Google map, click here (GPS location: 32.777407,-117.103357)
Buses: For San Diego MTS public transport Route 18, click here. The bus stop is at 4141 Camino Del Rio South, about 225 feet west of the Church parking lot.
San Diego Family Search Library On Site Access
- 40,000 Microfilm Rolls
- 76,000 Microfiche
- 11,000 Books, Magazines & Publications
- 420 Compac Discs (Cds)
Salt Lake Family History Center - Access via on-line ordering system
- 2.4 Million Microfilm Rolls
- 742,000 Microfiche
On-site Premium Internet Access
Free Access to FamilySearch.org
- Ancestry Institution database of more than 36 million names linked into families.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI) contains approx 600 million names
- Pedigree Resource Database contains more than 80 million patron submitted names linked into families
- 57 Computers
- 10 Microfilm Readers
- 1 Microfiche Readers
- 2 Microfilm/fiche Printers
- 2 Digital Microfilm/fiche Scanners
- 4 Multi-use Printers & Copiers
- State of the Art Multi Media Classrooms
- State of the Art Oral History Studio
- Free Access to Institutional connections such as Ancestry Institution, Fold3 [Footnote] and other premium sites
- Full Service Pedigree Software Applications
Personal Ancestral File 5.2 (PAF)
- The Oral History Studio Now available at the SD FS Library
Comfortable surroundings and sate-of-the-art audio and video technology provide quiet secluded
area ideal for recording personal histories.
Three Options For Recording Histories:
* One person reading or verbalizing memories
* Two people conversing or sharing memories
* One person interviewing another
Families or individuals are invited to contact the SD Family Search Library to schedule a one to two hour session.
Email or telephone the Library to request a copy of typical interview questions and preparatory instructions. email@example.com - Telephone (619) 584-7668
Youth Program Assistance
- Youth Consultant Training
- Young Women Personal Progress - You have a noble responsibility to use your strength and influence for good. Let us help you acheive your Personal Progress goals. Faith Value Project: Take a family history class at the Family History Center, and collect stories of your relatives or others who have demonstrated faith. You may also interview family members or others and record their names.
See also: Personal Progress Award.
- Duty to God - The LDS Duty to God Certificate Requirements:
Deacon - Family Activities: 4. Keep a written record of your family history. Ask a parent or the ward family history consultant to help you prepare a 4-generation pedigree chart. Priest - Family Activities: 9. Submit the names of one of your ancestors for temple work or write a 500-word personal history. See also: Duty to God Award.
- BSA - Duty to God requirements for all Scouts.
See also: Duty to God cases.
- Boy Scout Merit Badge in Genealogy - We can help you accomplish your BSA goals for this subject. Please prepare carefully and call us for assistance.
- The Computer Genealogy Society of San Diego (CGSSD) provides a list of area resources and Genealogy Organizations and Societies in the San Diego area. The CGSSD also provides a local news letter.
- The San Diego Genealogical Society has a genealogical library of over 9,000 books. This includes many copyrighted books that will not be digitized in the ongoing effort by the Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
- The California State Archives and Libraries provides access to California births, marriages and death records.
- The San Diego County Library system has an area of computer genealogical support within the 33 branches of the County Library system.
- The San Diego Public Library system has a large Genealogical Section in its main Library downtown and computer genealogical support in all of its 35 City Library branches.
Latter-day Saint collections
- Church History Library, Salt Lake City, LDS history 1830-now: diaries, manuscripts, Church records, photos, oral history, architectural drawings, pamphlets, newspapers, periodicals, maps, microforms, audiovisual material
- Daughters of Utah Pioneers, SLC, the Museum displays artifacts, and the History Department collects and preserves about 100,000 histories of pioneers who set out for, settled, or were born in Utah by 10 May 1869.
- Utah State Historical Society, SLC, family histories, photographs, books, manuscript collections, telephone directories, maps, newspapers, yearbooks, and periodicals are available in the Research Center and online.
Pre-registration Required: Call: (619) 584 7668 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Class Times and Instructors
- African American Research Thurs - 7 PM to 8 PM Marti Lewis. Margaret Lewis is Pres. of the SD African American Genealogy Research Group. Her classes are open to members and community alike and her lesson content covers all phases of African American research from African origins through migration/immigration, to slavery, reconstruction, segregation and emancipation.
- Family Search / Family Tree Wed. through Thurs - 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM (Call for appointment) This class outlines the transition from the former New.FamilySearch to the present FamilySearch – Family Tree. Topics covered include basic pedigree building, sourcing, correcting and merging data.
- Family Tree Photos Thurs - 6 PM to7 PM Susie Aincham. Recently released by FamilySearch, Susie Aincham has proven to be the resident expert in adding photos and stories to your online FamilyTree file. For a fun evening, bring your family photos and let Susie help you format and install them for all your family to enjoy.
- German Research 3rd Wed - 1 to 3 PM German Interest Group Family historians researching their Germanic ancestors will find the presentations on German genealogy sponsored by the San Diego Genealogical Society especially helpful. Contact SDGS at 858-279-7347 No preregistration required.
- New Consultant Training daily by appt.
- Spanish Research Thurs PM Marcy Lopez
- “On-Call” Consultants available for Italian, Irish, Scottish, British, Canadian, French, German, Jewish, and Spanish Research
Ancestry Institution.com - Census Records/Family Trees. Instruction available Tuesday through Saturday.
- Indexing - How to Instruction available Tuesday through Saturday. Instructors: Bob Harris –Individual or Group Instructions. Call for appointment
- Screen Shots/JPEG/Cropping. Instructor: Bob Harris. - Windows XP, Vista & Windows 7 - Tuesday & Wednesday, Thursday (AM)
- Call for instruction on Film ordering.
FHC online Portal
Use the following link to go to the general Family History Center online portal for Genealogical Resources, Classes & Workshops & One-on-One Assistance.
PAF - Free!
Use the following link to download the FREE Personal Ancestral File genealogy program. Select the PAF 5 program download and ignore ads on download web site. The default PAF version for the San Diego California LMS Family History Center is PAF version 5. For more information about PAF, please click here.
- ↑ "Church History Library and Archives" in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [Internet site] at http://www.lds.org/churchhistory/library (accessed 18 October 2008).
- ↑ "Pioneer Museum" and "History Department" pages in International Society ~ Daughter of Utah Pioneers [Internet site] at http://www.dupinternational.org/ (accessed 18 October 2008).
- ↑ "Research Center and Collections" and "Collections Available at the Research Center" in Utah State History [Internet site] at http://history.utah.gov/research_and_collections/index.html (accessed 18 October 2008).
- This page was last modified on 26 November 2013, at 03:57.
- This page has been accessed 13,726 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More