San Luis Obispo California Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The San Luis Obispo Family History Center serves the city of San Luis Obispo and surrounding areas, providing family history research guidance, genealogy database user support, and assistance to both beginning and experienced family history researchers. Other nearby FHCs are located in Santa Maria and Atascadero, California.
- For directions and map, click here.
- 651 Foothill Blvd San Luis Obispo, CA 93405-1686 United States
- Free parking, including handicapped spaces available.
- Please ring bell at west door for access.
Closed during the month of August: Closed for all major holidays:
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog. We can help you order online.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
This center provides free on-site access to the following databases:
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War
- Ancestry.com Family History Library Edition (includes international databases)
- Find My Past
- Fold3 (formerly Footnote.com)
- The Genealogist
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- Heritage Quest Online
- Historic Map Works Library Edition
- Paper Trail
- World Vital Records
In addition to the portal databases listed above, this center also provides free on-site access to:
- Ancestral Quest 12.1
- Get My Ancestors 2009.2.18
- Family Archive Viewer
- Family History Resource File Viewer 4.0
- Family Insight
- Map My Family Tree 1.3.9
- Pedigree Resource File
- Personal Ancestry File (PAF) 5.2
- Personal Historian
- XNView (scanning and image management software)
Hardware and Equipment
- Six public workstation Windows computers
- Two printers
- Three 35mm microfilm readers
- One 16mm microfilm reader
- One microfiche reader
- One workstation equipped to scan or print microfilm and/or fiche.
- There are approximately 550 print volumes, including reference works, county histories, limited local city directories, and local genealogical periodicals.
- Non-print resources include extended loan microfilm and microfiche from the SLC FHL and pedigree resource files on CD.
Staff Research Specialties
Searching in New FamilySearch and FamilySearch
New York research in the 1800s
Organizing your research
Resources in the Local Area
History Center of San Luis Obispo County
History in San Luis Obispo County
San Luis Obispo County Genealogical Society
South County Historical Society, San Luis Obispo County
Special Collections & University Archives
Kennedy Library, California Polytechnic State University
Vital Records for San Luis Obispo County, California
Office of the Clerk-Recorder
California Family History Centers
San Luis Obispo County, California
Santa Maria FHC
Volunteer at the Center
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the director at the email address above.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 00:00.
- This page has been accessed 2,034 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki