Sandford Orcas, SomersetEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Sandford Orcas, Somerset|
|Poor Law Union||Sherborne PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1598|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
SANDFORD-ORCAS (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Sherborne, hundred of Horethorne, E. division of Somerset, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Sherborne. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Sandford Orcas, Somerset parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|Sandford Orcas, Somerset Parish Online Records|
The original parish registers are held at the Dorset History Centre.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474598.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 24 September 2013.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 28 July 2012.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- ↑ E 179 Database, The National Archives, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e179/, accessed 8 August 2013.
- This page was last modified on 15 July 2014, at 15:24.
- This page has been accessed 1,709 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki