Sandwich St Clement, Kent GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sandwich St Clement, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Sandwich St Clement, Kent|
Sandwich St Clement Kent
|Hundred||Sandwich Town and Port|
|Poor Law Union||Eastry PLU|
|Parish registers: 1563|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1564|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Sandwich is a town and civil Parish, a Cinque Port within the Dover District of Kent, see also Sandwich Kent Wikipedia for a history of the town.
Sandwich St Clement is an Ancient Parish and the church dates from the 12th century rebuilt and extended in the 13th and 14th centuries It was the former election place of mayors.
The church has been designated GradeI listed building British listed building.
See also Kent Archeological Society and the entry in Edward Hasted's 'The town and port of Sandwich', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 10 (1800), pp. 152-216. Dated accessed: 30 September 2013. at British History Online and Kent Churches website
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Sandwich St Clement, Kent Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|KOPC = Kent Online Parish Clerks - free|
|Sandwich St Clement, Kent Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|FMP||1563-1912||1563-1912||1563-1901; 1754-1924 (Banns)||1563-1901; 1754-1924 (Banns)||1563-1931||1563-1931|
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
Introduction to LDS Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury marriage records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury banns coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- ↑ Kent Online Parish Clerks, accessed 20 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 1 July 2015, at 13:02.
- This page has been accessed 3,877 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News