Saskatchewan Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Saskatchewan, Catholic Church Records, 1846-1957 .
Title in the Language of the Record
Saskatchewan, registres de l'église catholique
This collection includes church records for the years 1846-1957, the content and time period of the records will vary by parish. The records are in French.
These records include baptisms, confirmations, marriages, burials, and other records from several Roman Catholic parishes in the province of Saskatchewan, Canada. For a list of records by localities, document type and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
|This image needs a translation.You can help by adding an English translation of the image. (Instructions)|
Baptism records usually contain the following information:
- Name of child
- Name of parents
- Locality of baptism
- Date of baptism, sometimes date of birth
- Name of parish where baptized
Marriage records usually contain the following information:
- Name of bride and groom
- Name of bride’s parents
- Name of groom’s parents
- Residence of bride and groom
- Date of marriage
- Name of parish where married
- Age of bride and groom
Burial records usually contain the following information:
- Name of deceased
- Name of spouse
- Date of burial, sometimes date of death
- Name of parish or cemetery where buried
How to Use the Record
To begin your search in the birth records, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Names of parents
- Approximate year and place of birth
To begin your search in the marriage records, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of bride or groom
- Approximate year and place of marriage
To begin your search in the burial records, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of deceased
- Approximate year and place of death
Search the Collection
To search the collection image by image,
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page:
⇒Select the appropriate "Place"
⇒Select the appropriate name of "Parish"
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Type and Year Range" category which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
Using the Information
When you have found the information that you have been looking for, you can use the following tactics to further your research the following:
- Use the name of the child to search for a marriage record
- Use the birth year of your ancestor to search for a census record
- If you have found your ancestor, search for their marriage records in the Saskatchewan_Catholic_Church_Records_(FamilySearch_Historical_Records) collection.
- Use the age to calculate an approximate birth year
- Use the names of the parents to search for their marriage record
If your ancestor was married, search for a marriage record with an approximate year of marriage.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in French. For help with reading the records, see the following wiki article:
|FHL Place Canada, Saskatchewan items or FHL Keyword Saskatchewan items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Saskatchewan Archives and Libraries.|
- Canada History Links
- Canada Historic Maps
- Saskatchewan Roman Catholic Church Parish Register Online Record History ~ a history of the churches and their locations, the Oblate Missionary Immaculate fathers (OMI) who served the parishes historically and the parish register information as listed by Family Search. Complete with bibliography.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Saskatchewan, Catholic Church Records, 1846-1957." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013.
- This page was last modified on 27 October 2014, at 12:15.
- This page has been accessed 9,695 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page