ScotlandsPeopleEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
If you are searching for people in Scotland, search the Scotland’s People Web site. It contains many census, civil registration, testament and church records. Due to privacy laws, Internet access of original images is limited to birth records over 100 years old and marriage records over 75 years.
The site contains indexes and many images for the following records.
- Old Parish Records (Church of Scotland), birth/baptisms and banns/marriages, 1553-1854
- Census, 1841-1911 and Street Indexes
- Statutory Registers (Civil Registers) births, marriages and deaths, from 1855
- Testaments (Probates), 1513-1901
- Catholic Parish Registers, 1703-1995
Genealogical information in each database varies but the following can be found.
- Names of individuals.
- Dates of birth, marriage or death.
- Places of birth, marriage or death, or residence.
- Date of a testament.
Using the site
- Type in your user name and password and click Login. If you don't have a login, click the link to Register.
- Click on a type of record you wish to search.
- Enter information into the search boxes provided.
- Click Search.
- Detailed help on how to use the ScotlandsPeople website is found in the FamilySearch publication "Finding records of your ancestors: Scotland 1855-1901".
- Registration on the site is free.
- Credits (a minimum of 30 for 7 GBP) are required to search for a specific record and to view details and digitized images of records.
- Each page of search results costs 1 credit to view.
- Each record image costs 5 credits to view.
- Searching the index of testaments (wills) is free.
- Searching the index for a Coat of Arms is free.
Searching and Viewing
- You can search without paying, but in order to view the results and record images, you must purchase credits. Results show total number of records by the surname.
- Select a type of record before searching for an individual.
- Search screen varies depending on the type of record to search.
- Click View to see the digitized image.
- You can print the image out, or save it to your computer.
- Click Order for an extract or an official copy.
- Once you have viewed a particular image, there is no charge to see the same one again. All previously viewed images are listed in your account and can be accessed as often as you wish.
- The list of results and images can be printed out.
- A person can do a free search for surname without a login. The result of this search shows the number of surnames in each database.
- For information about the availability of a group of records, click the What’s in the Database tab near the top of the screen.
- Credits can be paid by credit card on their secure site.
- Credits can be used at any time. The current number of credits is shown at the top right after you log in.
- If you have not visited the site for awhile, you will be asked to buy more credits.
- The IGI database on www.familysearch.org can be used as a partial index to pre-1876 births and marriages in Scotland.
- This page was last modified on 29 December 2011, at 17:06.
- This page has been accessed 6,771 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More