Scott County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Scott County, Mississippi ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Scott County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||23 December, 1833|
|Address|| Scott County Courthouse|
PO Box 630
Forest, MS 39074
Scott County Courthouse]
Scott County Courthouse
PO Box 630
Forest, MS 39074
Clerk Chancery Court has divorce and court records 1900, probate and land records from 1835, old church and cemetery records. Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records. 
1833--Scott County was created 23 December 1833 from the Choctaw Cession.
County seat: Forest 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
For tips on accessing Scott County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Scott County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1785-1918)
- Family Maps of Scott County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Men from Scott County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Scott County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company K - Mississippi Body Guards
- - 6th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company E - Lake Rebels
- Company K - East Mississippi Greys
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Scott County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Scott County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Scott County, Mississippi page 382, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 19 November 2014, at 17:09.
- This page has been accessed 5,970 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page