Scott County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Scott County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Scott County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||December 28, 1821|
|Address|| Scott County Courthouse|
PO Box 188
Benton, MO 63736-0188
Scott County Website
Recorder of Deeds has marriage and land records;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records;
Probate Judge has probate records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Scott County, Missouri census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Local histories are available for Scott County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Scott County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- - 13th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company K
:- 29th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company H
:- 8th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company H
:- 10th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company L
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Scott County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
- The Sikeston Herald (Sikeston, Missouri) at Ancestry.com ($)
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1840-1855, 1863-1876 - Scott County Marriage Index 1840-1855, 1863-1876. Batch M515801 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1865-1881 - Scott County Marriage Index 1865-1885. Batch M515803 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871-1881 - Scott County Marriage Index 1871-1881. Batch M515802 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1886 - Scott County Death Index, Volume 1, 1883-1886. Batch B515316 at FamilySearch - free.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
The Scott County Historical & Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 151
Benton, MO 63736
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Sikeston Missouri Family History Center 827 Euclid Dr., Sikeston, MO 63801-4602 United States Location Map
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "Scott County"|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Scott County, MO Genealogy Forum|
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Scott County, Missouri. Page 405 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f4/Igimissourir.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 25 June 2014, at 01:20.
- This page has been accessed 4,434 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki