Scott County, VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Scott County Virginia ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, immigration records, and military records.
|Scott County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
|County Seat||Gate City|
Scott County, Virginia Courthouse
Scott County Courthouse
Scott Circuit Court
202 West Jackson Street
Gate City, VA 24251
Clerk Circuit Court has birth records 1853-1895,
death records 1853-1892, marriage divorce,
probate, court and land records from 1815
Scott County, Virginia History
For animated maps illustrating Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
- Lost census: 1890
For a list of record loss in Virginia counties see: Virginia Counties with Burned Courthouses
Scott County, Virginia Places/Localities
- Gate City (County Seat)
- Weber City
Populated Places and Communities
- Boozy Creek
- "Fido" or Fulkerson
- Timber Tree
- Ft. Blackmore
- Copper Creek
- "The Valley" or the A.P. Carter Highway
Scott County, Virginia Genealogy Resources
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Scott County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 22, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1978):133-136. Available at FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
Freedmen's Bureau Letters or Correspondence, 1865-1872
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
- Tombstone Transcription Project Scott County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
For tips on accessing Scott County, Virginia census records online, see: Virginia Census.
- Douthat, James L. 1840 Mountain Empire of Virginia Census. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2001. FHL Collection 975.5 X2d 1840. Free online surname index and purchase details at Mountain Press website. [Includes Scott County.]
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
- Scott County Census name index for 1900, courtesy of the Scott County Historical Society.
- Scott County Census name index for 1910, courtesy of the Scott County Historical Society.
- Scott County Census name index for 1920, courtesy of the Scott County Historical Society.
- Scott County Census name index for 1920, courtesy of the Scott County Historical Society.
Early Baptist churches (with years constituted):
- Copper Creek (pre-1800), Nickelsville, Va. Minutes begin in 1807. They have been published: FHL Book 975.5732 K2a. Membership Lists 1807-1853 are online.
Early monthly meetings (with years of existence):
- Maple Spring Monthly Meeting (1807-1813)
More than 40 genealogies have been published about Scott County families. To view a list, visit Scott County, Virginia Genealogy.
Land and Property
- Addington, Robert M. History of Scott County, Virginia. Kingsport, Tenn.: Kingsport Press, 1932. Available at FHL (original edition and 1979 reprint); digital version at Ancestry ($) and World Vital Records ($).
- Chataigne's Gazetteer and Business Directory for Scott County, Virginia, 1888- 89.
- Kegley, Mary B. Revolutionary War Pension Applications of Southwest Virginia Soldiers. n.p.: M.B. Kegley, 1997. FHL Collection [Includes Scott County pensioners.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Scott County on page 136.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Book 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Scott County, p. 103. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
Regiments. Service men in Scott County, Virginia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Scott County, Virginia:
- - 4th Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Company K probably recruited in Scott County.
- - 22nd Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Bowen's Virginia Mounted Riflemen) (Confederate). Company A.
- - 25th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company A, Company B, Company C, and Company D.
- - 37th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company D (Davis Rifle Guards).
- - 48th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company B (Clinch Mountain Boomers), Company I (Stock Creek Greys), and Company K (Osborne Ford Independents).
- - 50th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company A (Lee Rifles).
- - 64th Regiment, Virginia Mounted Infantry (Confederate). Companies D1, D2, and E2.
Records and histories are available, including:
- Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865
- Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers 1861-1865
The Virginia Newspapers Project identifies local Scott County, Virginia newspapers.
Virginia, Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Scott County is included in Vol. 5.]
-  Kegley, Mary B. Southwest Virginia Tax Assessments, 1815: Grayson, Lee, Scott, Russell, Washington, and Wythe Counties. Wytheville, Va.: Kegley Books, 1991. Original edition and 1992 supplement available at FHL. [The source for this publication is a private collection of 1815 tax assessment tickets for the First District of Virginia. The tickets includes landowners' names, number of acres or lots, number of buildings along with descriptions, and number of slaves. N.B. These are not the 1815 land tax books.]
-  Kincaid, Bathsheba. "Scott County, Virginia Tax Book for 1816," The Mountain Empire Genealogical Quarterly, Vol. 4, No. 3 (Fall 1985):179-181. FHL US/CAN Book 975 D25m v. 4 (1985).
Indexes to Scott County, Virginia births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
- 1853-1870 - Scott County Birth Index 1853-1870. Batch C868655 (broken link) at FamilySearch - free.
- 1740-1850 - Virginia Marriages 1740-1850 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1815-1931 - Scott County Marriage Index 1815-1931. Batch M868654 (broken link) at FamilySearch - free.
- 1815-1829 - Scott County Marriages 1815-1829 (VAGenWeb) - free
- 1830-1839 - Scott County Marriages 1830-1839 (VAGenWeb) - free
- 1853-1870 - Scott County Death Index 1853-1870. Batch B868656 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871-1896 - Deaths in Scott County, published on the Scott County Historical Society website - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
|For birth, marriage, and death record substitutes, see Bible Records, Cemeteries, Church History and Records, Newspapers, and Probate Records.|
Scott County, Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
Scott County, Virginia Genealogy Websites
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Scott County, Virginia USGENWEB
- Scott County, VA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Familytree101)
- References for Southwest Virginia (Southwest Virginia Project)
- RootsWeb Mailing List: SW_VA-L (Topic: Southwest Virginia)
- Scott County Virginia Genealogical Research Site (VAGenWeb). Part of the USGenWeb Project.
- Cyndi's List
- Scott County Virginia Faces and Places
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Scott County, Virginia. Page 721 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Luther F. Addington and Emory L. Hamilton, Regular Baptist Minutes, Copper Creek Church, 1809-1896 and Primitive Baptist Church Minutes, Addington Frame Church, 1847-1923 (Clintwood, Va.: Mullins Printing, 1980s). FHL Book 975.5732 K2a.
- ↑ Jay Worrall, The Friendly Virginians: America's First Quakers (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Publishing Company, 1994), 537-539. FHL Book 975.5 K2wj.
- ↑ The Virginia State Line: Organizational Structure of the Virginia State Line, Ranger95.com, accessed 11 June 2012.
- ↑ Dobbie E. Lambert, 25th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 106.
- ↑ Thomas M. Rankin, 37th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1987). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 37.
- ↑ John D. Chapla, 48th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1989). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 54.
- ↑ John C. Chapla, 50th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1997). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 129.
- ↑ Jeffrey C. Weaver, 64th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1992). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 89.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/37/Igivirginia.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 31 January 2015, at 00:52.
- This page has been accessed 30,778 times.