Sebastian County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sebastian County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sebastian County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||January 6, 1851|
|County Seat||Fort Smith|
|Address|| Sebastian County Courthouse|
35 S 6th;
Fort Smith, AR 72901
Sebastian County Courthouse
35 S 6th;
Fort Smith, AR 72901
County Clerk has marriage records from 1865 and probate records from 1866; Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and land records.
- 1851--Sebastian County was created 6 January 1851 from Scott, Polk, Crawford, and Van Buren Counties.
County seat: Fort Smith 
For animated maps illustrating Arkansas county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Arkansas County Boundary Maps" (1813-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Arkansas counties see: Arkansas Counties with Burned Courthouses
Neighboring CountiesCrawford • Franklin • LeFlore County, Oklahoma • Logan • Scott • Sequoyah County, Oklahoma •
- Fort Smith National Cemetery at Ancestry.com ($)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
St. John's Episcopal Church, Fort Smith
- 1860-1886 - St. John's Episcopal Church, Fort Smith Baptism Index 1860-1886. Batch C586781 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1860-1895 - St. John's Episcopal Church, Fort Smith Marriage Index 1860-1895. Batch M586781 at FamilySearch - free.
First Lutheran Church, Fort Smith
- 1868-1885 - First Lutheran Church, Fort Smith Baptism Index 1868-1885. Batch C586721 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1868-1895 - First Lutheran Church, Fort Smith Marriage Index 1868-1895. Batch M586721 at FamilySearch - free.
- Criminal Case Files, 1866-1900 at Ancestry.com ($)
- Criminal Case Files Index, 1866-1900 at Ancestry.com ($)
- Biographies from The History of Sebastian County, Arkansas (1889) published by Goodspeed Publishing Company are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Sebastian County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
Emphasis for this timeline is on events that affected migration, records, or record-keeping. Unless otherwise mentioned, the events below were gleaned from Arkansas County - The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture 
- Maps of Arkansas (1813-1925)
- Family Maps of Sebastian County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Regiments. Service men in Sebastian County, Arkansas served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Sebastian County, Arkansas:
- - 11th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate)
- - 17th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Griffith's) (Confederate), Companies A, B, C and F
- - 19th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Dawson's) (Confederate)
- - 34th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), Companies D and G
- - 35th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), Companies A, B, C and D
- - 51st Regiment, Arkansas Militia (Confederate)
- - Witherspoon's Battalion, Arkansas Cavalry (Confederate)
- - 4th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Union)
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Sebastian County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Arkansas.
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Sebastian County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch. Do a Sebastian County, Arkansas Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see, FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Fayetteville Daily Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Daily Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Northwest Arkansas Times at Ancestry.com ($)
- Courier Times at Ancestry.com ($)
- Probate Records 1851-1922 Part of: Arkansas Probate Records, 1817-1979 FamilySearch Historical Collections (Free, browse images)
- Includes Administration accounts 1870-1892; Administration and guardian bonds 1891-1904; Administration and guardian dockets 1865-1885; Administration bonds 1861-1868; Bonds and letters 1872-1883; Dockets 1861-1864 and 1875-1886; Executors bonds and letters 1883-1910; Probate records 1851-1888; Wills 1902-1922.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online.
See also How to order Arkansas Vital Records
- 1865-1922, 1952 - Sebastian County Marriage Books B-Q Index 1865-1922, 1952 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1884-1947 - Sebastian County Marriage Index, Greenwood District Books B-M Index (1882-1949), Fort Smith District Books C-Q, S-Z, 2-52 Index (1889-1951) in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1919 - Sebastian County Death Index 1881-1919. Batch B750709 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1919-1929 - Sebastian County Death Index 1919-1929. Batch B750794 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Fort Smith Arkansas Family History Center
- Fort Smith, Arkansas, United States
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|ARGenWeb for Sebastian County]||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Sebastian County Births and Deaths, 1877-1963||Free||Search indexed information; images are not available.|
|RootsWeb - Sebastian Co, Arkansas||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS.com||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Arkansas History Commission||Arkansas state agency - describes Sebastian Co. microfilms and gives corresponding FHL film numbers|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "arkansas" in the search box to see a list and links to Arkansas Blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "arkansas genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Arkansas Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Sebastian County, AR Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Sebastian County Message Board|
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 70.
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry Pub., 2004), 65-67. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, CivilWar Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August 2012).
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- This page was last modified on 8 July 2014, at 14:55.
- This page has been accessed 6,743 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki