Sebastian County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sebastian County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sebastian County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||January 6, 1851|
|County Seat||Fort Smith|
|Address|| Sebastian County Courthouse|
35 S 6th;
Fort Smith, AR 72901
Sebastian County Courthouse
35 S 6th;
Fort Smith, AR 72901
County Clerk has marriage records from 1865 and probate records from 1866; Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and land records.
- 1851--Sebastian County was created 6 January 1851 from Scott, Polk, Crawford, and Van Buren Counties.
County seat: Fort Smith 
See an interactive map of Sebastian County boundary changes.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
St. John's Episcopal Church, Fort Smith
- 1860-1886 - St. John's Episcopal Church, Fort Smith Baptism Index 1860-1886. Batch C586781 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1860-1895 - St. John's Episcopal Church, Fort Smith Marriage Index 1860-1895. Batch M586781 at FamilySearch - free.
First Lutheran Church, Fort Smith
- 1868-1885 - First Lutheran Church, Fort Smith Baptism Index 1868-1885. Batch C586721 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1868-1895 - First Lutheran Church, Fort Smith Marriage Index 1868-1895. Batch M586721 at FamilySearch - free.
- Biographies from The History of Sebastian County, Arkansas (1889) published by Goodspeed Publishing Company are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Sebastian County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Sebastian County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Sebastian County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Arkansas.
Men from this county served in the 51st Regiment, Arkansas Militia.
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Sebastian County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1865-1922, 1952 - Sebastian County Marriage Books B-Q Index 1865-1922, 1952 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1884-1947 - Sebastian County Marriage Index, Greenwood District Books B-M Index (1882-1949), Fort Smith District Books C-Q, S-Z, 2-52 Index (1889-1951) in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1919 - Sebastian County Death Index 1881-1919. Batch B750709 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1919-1929 - Sebastian County Death Index 1919-1929. Batch B750794 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Fort Smith Arkansas Family History Center
- Fort Smith, Arkansas, United States
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Sebastian County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
A wiki article describing this collection is found at:
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 70.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, CivilWar Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August 2012).
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 25 November 2013, at 20:38.
- This page has been accessed 2,991 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More