Selston with Underwood and Westwood, NottinghamshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Selston is an Ancient parish which includes: Bagthorpe, Westwood, and Underwood.
The Parish Church of St Helen Selston has been designated a grade II* listed building British listed building
See also Selston Wikipedia
From this parish developed:
The Parish church of St Michael and All Angels Church Lane Selston dating from 1890 and which has been designated as a grade II listed building British listed building
The Churchyard contains the Pye Hill Colliery Headstock memorial which was dedicated by the Bishop of Sherwood the Rt. Reverend R. Darby on 28th September 1985
SELSTON (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Basford, N. division of the wapentake of Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham, 9 miles (S. W.) from Mansfield; containing, with the hamlets of Bagthorpe and Underwood.
Another brief description:
SELSTON WITH UNDERWOOD AND WESTWOOD, is an ecclesiatical parish in Nottinghamshire.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
This area was from 1837 part of the Basford registration district
Selston St Helen parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|SELSTON PARISH Online Records|
Deposited records at Nottinghamshire Archives Baptisms 1557-1900 Marriages 1557-1911 Burials 1558-1931 Bishop's Transcripts 1626-1838
Selston St Mary (Westwood)
Deposited records at Nottinghamshire Archives Baptisms 1899-1948 Marriages 1903-1961 Burials 1899-1981
Underwood St Michael and All Angels
Deposited records at Nottinghamshire Archives Baptisms 1890-1977 Marriages 1897-1954 Burials 1890-1973
Nottinghamshire County Council
NG2 7QP telephone: 08449 808080 online
Link to the Family History Library Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Selston with Underwood and Westwood
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438907. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Nottinghamshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- ↑ Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 44-48. Date accessed: 8 October 2013.
- ↑ Wilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) Adapted, date accessed: 8 October 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 11 October 2013, at 19:28.
- This page has been accessed 709 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More