Sharp County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sharp County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sharp County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||July 18, 1868|
|County Seat||Ash Flat|
|Address|| Sharp County Courthouse|
PO Box 307
Ash Flat, AR 72513
Sharp County Courthouse
PO Box 307
Ash Flat, AR 72513
County Clerk has probate, divorce, court and land records from 1880
See an interactive map of Sharp County boundary changes.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Sharp County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Sharp County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Sharp County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
- 1879-1923 - Sharp County Marriage Index 1879-1923 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1880-1968 - Sharp County Marriage Index, Southern District Books J-L Index (1880-1947), Northern District Books -10 Index (1893-1968) in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Sharp County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 70.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 25 November 2013, at 20:39.
- This page has been accessed 2,460 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More