Shawnee Indian Agency (Oklahoma)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Shawnee Agency in Oklahoma was established in 1901, from the Sac and Fox Agency. In 1919, the Sac and Fox Agency was consolidated with the Shawnee Agency and many of its records were also consolidated with the Shawnee Agency.
Many of the historical records of the Shawnee Agency in Oklahoma are in the National Archives Southwest Region (Ft. Worth), including some records of its predecessor agencies. Among the records in this collection, of value to family historians, are:
- Annuity payrolls, 1888-1891, 1960, 1967
- Allotment Records, 1890-1986
- Tribal census rolls, 1915-1939
- School census records, 1923-1941
In addition, there are records specific to the tribes under the jurisdiction of the Shawnee Agency. For example, there are family history sheets, 1916-1929, for the Citizen Potawatomi; marriage cards, 1929, for the Shawnee and Sac and Fox; and tribal records, 1915-1963, for the Citizen Potawatomi.
Additional records for the Shawnee Agency are also at the Oklahoma Historical Society in Oklahoma City. In that facility, there are census rolls, 1874-1924, and miscellaneous administrative records.
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1904-1906, and from 1915 thru 1939. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 490-496. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 581865 thru 581871). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
Microfilm copies of...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Shawnee Agency, 1907-1938, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, rolls 133-135, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and their family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1724351-1724353). Reports for some years are missing.
Shawnee Agency Records (school,vital,allotment,heirship, allotment, FHL Collection, film 1204637 first film
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- This page was last modified on 7 January 2011, at 21:46.
- This page has been accessed 914 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More