Sheridan County, KansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Sheridan County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Sheridan County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 6, 1873|
|Address|| Sheridan County Courthouse|
P.O. Box 899
Hoxie, Kansas 67740-0899
Sheridan County Courthouse
PO Box 899
Hoxie, KS 67740-0899
County Clerk has incomplete birth and death records 1887-1910.
Clerk District Court has marriage, divorce, probate and court records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
1873--Sheridan County was created 6 March 1873 from unorganized territory. County seat: Hoxie 
Sheridan County Cemeteries. Provides the name of the cemetery, location and and transcription of the graves. The transcription may provide:
- Date of birth
- Date of death
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
- Sheridan County was organized after the Civil War.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Sheridan County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sheridan County, Kansas page 256, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 19 June 2013, at 01:48.
- This page has been accessed 1,018 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More