Sheriffhales, ShropshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sheriffhales, Shropshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||South Bradford; West Cuttlestone|
|Poor Law Union||Shifnal PLU|
|Registration District||Newport; Shiffnal|
|Parish registers: 1557|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1670|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Shropshire Record Office|
Parish HistorySHERIFF-HALES (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Shiffnall, partly in the Newport division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Shropshire,but chiefly in the W. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford,3 miles (N. by E.) from Shiffnall.
|Part of this parish is in Staffordshire. See also Sheriffhales, Staffordshire.|
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Sheriffhales parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|SHERIFFHALES PARISH (1557) Online Records|
Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1670-1860 Marr 1670-1837 Bur 1670-1860
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474612.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Shropshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 74-80. Date accessed: 09 July 2012.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Baptisms 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Marriages 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Banns 1760-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Burials 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Shropshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 25 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 9 September 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 22:03.
- This page has been accessed 1,257 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page