Sherman County, Kansas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sherman County, Kansas ancestry, family history and genealogy, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.
|Sherman County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 6, 1873|
|Address|| Sherman County Courthouse|
Goodland, Kansas 67735-3056
Sherman County, Kansas Record Dates
Sherman County Courthouse
Goodland, KS 67735-3056
County Clerk has newspapers from 1898,
school and census records.
City Clerk has birth, death records, land records from 1887.
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records from 1886.
Clerk District Court has divorce and court records from 1887. 
1873--Sherman County was created 6 March 1867 from unorganized territory. County seat: Goodland 
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Sherman County, Kansas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
- Sherman County was organized after the Civil War.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Sherman County, Kansas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Sherman and click Probate records.
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Kansas Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
- 1818 - 1936 Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1885 - 1911 Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1840 - 1935 Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1855 - 1911 Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911 at Ancestry.com — images $
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Sherman County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 232-245. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sherman County, Kansas page 256, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 21 July 2015, at 16:41.
- This page has been accessed 4,743 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News