Shifnal, ShropshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Shifnal, Shropshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Shifnal PLU|
|Parish registers: 1678|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1672|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Shropshire Record Office|
SHIFFNALL (St. Andrew), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the Shiffnall division of the hundred of Brimstree, S. division of Shropshire; containing, with the townships of Hatton and Woodside,and the chapelry of Prior's Lee, 17½ miles (E. by S.) from Shrewsbury, and 143 (N. W.) from London. The Baptists and Independentshave places of worship. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Shifnal, Shropshire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Shropshire Records (findmypast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Shifnal, Shropshire Online Parish Records|
Bishop's transcripts held at the Lichfield Record Office Bap 1673-1838 Marr 1673-1838 Bur 1673-1838
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474584.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Shropshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 74-80. Date accessed: 09 July 2012.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Baptisms 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Marriages 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Banns 1760-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Burials 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Shropshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 25 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 30 November 2014, at 06:30.
- This page has been accessed 1,259 times.