Shivwits Indian Agency (Utah)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The original reservation for the Shivwits (Shebits) Band of Paiute Indians in southern Utah was established in 1891. A Southern Utah Agency was established to represent both the Shivwits and the Kaibab Band of Paiutes, which it did until at least 1905. By 1910, the agency apparently was divided into the Shivwits Agency located at Shem, Utah and the Kaibab Agency. The responsibility for all of the Paiute Indians in Utah was assumed by the Paiute Agency, established at Cedar City, Utah in 1927.
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1910-1917, 1919, and 1921-1922. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, roll 497. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm number 581872). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- This page was last modified on 17 February 2011, at 21:12.
- This page has been accessed 551 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki