Simpson County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Simpson County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
109 W Pine Ave; PO Box 367
Mendenhall, MS 39114
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage and court records.
Clerk Chancery Court has divorce records 1880,
some probate and land records. 
1824--Simpson County was created 23 January 1824 from the Choctaw Cession.
County seat: Mendenhall 
Almost all cemeteries have been indexed and can be found at US GenWeb at the following link.
For tips on accessing Simpson County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
The original land grants can be found at Bureau of Land Records website at www.glorecords.blm.gov.
- Family Maps of Simpson County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Civil War service men from Simpson County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Simpson County.
- - 3rd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry [aka 45th Missisippi Infantry/ Hardcastle's/Williams']
- Company A - Duncan Riflemen
- - 6th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company H - Simpson Fencibles
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information see Mississippi Taxation.
- 1872-1918 - Simpson County Marriage Books 1-8 Index 1872-1918 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county. http://theusgenweb.org/ms/simpson/
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Simpson County, Mississippi page 382, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 11 May 2013, at 17:44.
- This page has been accessed 2,023 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More