Slovakia, Census, 1869 (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Slovakia, Census, 1869 .
Title in the Language of the Record
Slovensko, sčítanie ľudu, 1869
This Collection will include records in 1869.
The collection consists of census records created during the period of the Hungarian Empire. A census form lists members of each household with information on their year of birth, relationship to the head of the household, place of birth, religion, and occupation. This census does not cover all of Slovakia, but only those census records in the regional archives of Bytča, Banská Bystrica, and Nitra.
The census forms in this record are written in both Hungarian and German. Most of the names and information are written in German.
For a list of records by localities currently published in this collection, select the Browselink from the collection landing page.
|This image needs a translation.You can help by adding an English translation of the image. (Instructions)|
- Members of household
- Year and place of birth
How to Use the Record
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "County" category
⇒Select the "Municipality" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination
To find an individual in a census, you must know the person’s name and the time period when he or she lived. If there is no index available, you will need to know the county and town. Using browse will enable you to navigate image by image to locate the family or individual.
If the family is not at the expected address, search the surrounding area. Make sure you are searching in the right county or town.
You may have to read around marks made by the clerks who compiled the census data. These marks sometimes obscure the information.
Some other helpful tips to keep in mind are:
- Extract the information on all families with the same surname in the same general area. If the surname is uncommon, it is likely that those living in the same area were related.
- Be sure to extract all families before you look at other records. The relationships given will help you to organize family groups. The family groupings will help you identify related families when you discover additional information in other records.
- Married family members may have lived nearby but in a separate household so you may want to search an entire town, neighboring towns, or even a county.
- You may be able to identify an earlier generation if elderly parents were living with or close by a married child.
- Additional searches may be needed to locate all members of a particular family in the census.
- The census may identify persons for whom other records do not exist.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Hungarian and German. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
|FHL Place Slovakia items or FHL Keyword Slovakia items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Slovakia Archives and Libraries.|
|FHL Place Hungary, Szlovákia items or FHL Keyword Hungary, Szlovákia items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Hungary Archives and Libraries.|
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information for collections published in FamilySearch.org. Source citations include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Slovakia, Census, 1869." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Magyar Statisztikai Hivatal.
- This page was last modified on 12 December 2014, at 23:05.
- This page has been accessed 22,825 times.