Somerset County, MaineEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Somerset County Maine genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Somerset County, Maine|
Location in the state of Maine
|Founded||March 1, 1809|
|Address|| Somerset County Courthouse|
Skowhegan, ME 04976
Somerset County Website
Clerk Courts has some marriage records from 1800’s and proabte records from 1809.
Parts of Somerset County were set off to:
- Franklin County 20 March 1838.
- Piscataquis County 23 March 1838.
- Part of Aroostook County 12 March 1844.
Places / Localities
Villages: • Flagstaff • North Anson
Unorganized territories. Townships listed from southeast to northwest within their group. BKP=Bingham's Kennebec Purchase; EKR=East of the Kennebec River NBKP=North of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase; Twp=Township; WELS=West of the Easterly Line of the State; WKR=West of the Kennebec River. For further details see Maine townships.
Maine Newspaper Archive Indexes Free; Digital Page Images $ (GenealogyBank $) Twenty-two early Maine 18th and 19th century newspapers, 1785-1898 online. Indexes (free); digital images ($). These newspapers are from Augusta, Bangor, Belfast, Brunswick, Castine, Eastport, Falmouth, Hallowell, Kennebunk, Portland, Saco and Wiscasset.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Somerset County MEGenWeb Project, an member of The MEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Somerset County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Somerset County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Somerset County
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 305. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Before an extinct town was discontinued, it created official town records of interest to genealogists. For preservation these records were usually turned over to a nearby functioning town in the same county.
- ↑ Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 115. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.
|This Maine-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 20 May 2013, at 21:57.
- This page has been accessed 2,386 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More