Somerset Place NamesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Status of being the County Town of Somerset has changed many times through history.
- Ilchester During the 11th and 12th century.
- Somerton During the late 13th century
- Taunton took over the status of the county town of somerset in about 1366.
Excamples of Places named from geographic features
- Many places in the County of Somerset have names from rivers or roads. The rivers and road where important trade routes for importing and exporting goods.
- Taunton is the county town and it gets its name from 'Town on the river or Tone Town'. A list of places can be found in Wikipedia.
- Axbridge the name is suggested to come from a bridge over the river Ax. This was named in about the 9th century.
- North Petherton the name comes from the area location to the north of the river Perret
- Ilminster the name is suggested to come from old english meaning " Church on the river Isle ".
- This page was last modified on 10 April 2014, at 03:44.
- This page has been accessed 655 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki