South Africa, Church of the Province of South Africa, Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: South Africa, Church of the Province of South Africa, Parish Registers, 1801-2004 .
Title in the Language of the Record
Suid-Afrika, die Kerk van die Provinsie van Suid-Afrika, Parish registers
This Collection will include records from 1801 to 2004, with possibly some records before 1801.
The records in this collection include digital images of parish registers of the Church of the Province of South Africa, also known since 2006 as the "Anglican Church of Southern Africa". The Church includes dioceses in Angola, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, Saint Helena, South Africa and Swaziland. Records were acquired from the collection of the William Cullen Library, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, and include baptisms, marriages, deaths, and burials. The text of the records is in English and Afrikaans.
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browselink from the collection landing page.
Baptism records may contain the following information:
- Date and place of baptism
- Child's name and gender
- Child's date and place of birth
- Parents' names and their residence
- Occupation of father
- Names of sponsors or witnesses
- By whom the baptism was performed
Marriage records may contain the following information:
- Date and place of marriage
- Race of the bride and groom
- Name and age of groom
- Groom's birthplace, marital status and occupation
- Groom's residence at time of marriage
- Name and age of bride
- Bride's birthplace, marital status and occupation
- Bride's residence at time of marriage
- Marriage by license or banns
- Names of witnesses
- Name of minister and religious denomination
Death records may contain the following information:
- Date and place of burial
- Name and age of deceased
- Residence at time of death
- Who performed burial ceremony
How to Use the Record
To search the baptism records, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Names of parents
- Approximate year and place of birth
To search the marriage records, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of bride or groom
- Approximate year and place of marriage
To search the death records, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of ancestor
- Approximate year and place of death
Search the Collection
To search the collection image by image
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page:
⇒Select the appropriate "Country"
⇒Select the appropriate "Province"
⇒Select the appropriate "Diocese, Town, and/or Parish"
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Type and Years" which will take you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Afrikaans. For help with reading the records, see the following wiki article:
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing Family Search Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: South Africa, Church of the Province of South Africa, Parish Registers, 1850-2004
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information for collections published in FamilySearch.org. Source citations include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "South Africa, Church of the Province of South Africa, Parish Registers, 1850-2004." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing William Cullen Library, Wits University, Johannesburg.
- This page was last modified on 20 December 2013, at 05:02.
- This page has been accessed 4,019 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More