South Dakota GazetteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
You can study local histories and maps to learn about the places in South Dakota where your family lived. There are two very helpful guides that will help you identify South Dakota place-names.
- R. L. Polk & Company. Northwestern Gazetteer: Minnesota, North and South Dakota and Montana Gazetteer and Business Directory. St. Paul, Minnesota: R. L. Polk & Company, 1914. (Family History Library films 1321220-1.)
- Phillips, George H. The Postoffices of South Dakota, 1861-1930. Crete, Nebraska: J-B Publishing, 1975. (Family History Library book 978.3 E8p.)
- The Columbia Gazetteer of North America
- U.S. Census Bureau: U.S. Gazetteer
- U.S. Geological Survey (GNIS)
- University of South Dakota: South Dakota Place Names (identifies many resources)
- Directory of Cities and Towns in South Dakota
Photo courtesy of http://rockyweb.cr.usgs.gov/outreach/articles/isntthatspatial_7_placenames.html. Go to this website to learn more about place names.
- This page was last modified on 12 February 2011, at 19:20.
- This page has been accessed 2,169 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page