South Dakota GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most archives, historical societies, and genealogical societies have special collections and indexes of genealogical value. These must usually be searched in person. The Family History Library has copies of a few published genealogies.
A small collection of manuscript material is the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Collection. This collection consists of transcripts of Bible records, cemetery records, church records, marriages, deaths, obituaries, and wills. It was microfilmed in 1971 at the DAR Library in Washington, DC (Family History Library film 855209).
A published genealogical collection for South Dakota families is Prairie Progress in West Central South Dakota (Sioux Falls, South Dakota: Historical Society of Old Stanley County, South Dakota, 1968; Family History Library book 978.35 D2h; film 1036396 item 4).
A helpful source for identifying French-Canadian ancestors who emigrated to South Dakota is Paul J. Lareau, and Elmer Courteau, French-Canadian Families of the North Central States: A Genealogical Dictionary, Eight Volumes. (St. Paul, Minnesota: Northwest Territory French and Canadian Heritage Institute, 1980; Family History Library book 973 D2la; fiche 6010503-11).
Writing and Sharing Your Family History
Sharing your own family history is valuable for several reasons:
- It helps you see gaps in your own research and raises opportunities to find new information.
- It helps other researchers progress in researching ancestors you share in common.
- It draws other researchers to you who already have information about your family that you do not yet possess.
- It draws together researchers with common interests, sparking collaboration opportunities. For instance, researchers in various localities might choose to do lookups for each other in remote repositories. Your readers may also share photos of your ancestors that you have never seen before.
- See also:
- This page was last modified on 7 July 2011, at 22:34.
- This page has been accessed 2,624 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki