South Hill, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to South Hill, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
General overview SOUTH-HILL (St. Sampson), aparish, in the unionof Liskeard, Middle division of the hundred of East,E. division of Cornwall, 3 miles (N. W.) from Callington. The church is an ancient structure with lancet windows.There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 149-152.
URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51289 Date accessed: 03 April 2013.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
South Hill, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|South Hill, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||1852-1901||1566-1837, 1866-1901|
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 210
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241258.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 22 May 2014, at 22:10.
- This page has been accessed 897 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki