Southeast Indian Agency (Alaska)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
United States American Indians Alaska Indians of Alaska Southeast Indian Agency (Alaska) Guide to Southeast Indian Agency (Alaska) ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Haida, Tlingit Indians of Alaska
The Southeast Agency is the forerunner of the Fairbanks Agency.
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
A few records of the Southeast Agency, consisting mostly of employment assistance case files, 1960-1968, are in the Pacific Alaska Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Anchorage.
See also the records of the Juneau Area Office, which includes:
- Tlingit-Haida tribal enrollments, including births, marriages, and deaths, 1890s to 1976
- Village census rolls, 1913, 1934-1966
- School records from several schools
- Land allotment registers, 1928-1929
- And other administrative and financial records, 1912-1974
- ↑ Guide to Federal Records, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Record Group 75. Available online.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- This page was last modified on 31 March 2015, at 18:47.
- This page has been accessed 635 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News