Southern Apache Indian Agency (New Mexico)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Southern Apache Agency was established in 1852. Its location was changed over the years, but, until 1873, most of the locations were near Ojo Caliente, in New Mexico Territory. From 1873 to 1877, the agency was moved to Ojo Caliente, the location of the reservation. In 1877, the Indians it served were moved to the San Carlos Reservation in Arizona. The Southern Apache Agency was part of the New Mexico Superintendency until it was abolished in 1874, after which the agent reported directly to the Office of Indian Affairs in Washington DC.
Agents and Appointment Dates
Charles Overman 1842, Edward H. Wingfield 1852, James M. Smith 1853, Edmund A. Graves 1854, Michael Steck 1854, Amos A. Chipman 1861, Ferdinand Maxwell 1862, Louis Baca 1867, John Ayres 1868, Lt. Charles E. Drew 1869, Orlando F. Piper 1870, Benjamin M. Thomas 1872, John M. Shaw 1874 and James Davis 
A few of the textual records of the Southern Apache Agency have been transferred to the National Archives in Washington DC. The records consist mostly of financial and other administrative records.
- ↑ The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. By Edward E. Hill. Clearwater Publishing Co., New York, NY ©1974. FHL Book 970.1 H551o
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- This page was last modified on 31 December 2013, at 18:32.
- This page has been accessed 1,029 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki