Spain ConfirmationsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Spanish word for confirmations is confirmaciones. Confirmations took place whenever the Bishop visited the parish. This visit could have been annually, every other year, or as infrequently as every five or ten years. Confirmation records are not always consistently recorded. They may be recorded in separate books or in a separate of a baptism book. They might also be mingled in with other parish record types.
Use confirmation records to do the following:
- Identify family members
- Confirm the family’s residence in the parish.
Information found regularly in confirmation records includes the following:
- Name of the parish
- Name of individual being confirmed along with the godparents
- Sometimes parents are named, but not always.
- Confirmation records can help you locate children whose baptism record might be missing.
- If a confirmation record is not found for a child, you will want to review death records to determine if the child died young.
- Do not think that a child was confirmed at a certain age such as 7 or 8 as there have been records showing both infants and adults who were confirmed.
Church Records Online
Millions of names can be found in the Spain online collections of FamilySearch
Spain, Baptisms, 1502-1940 No images are available, Search by name only.
Spain, Marriages, 1565-1950 No images are available, Search by name only.
Spain Deaths, 1600-1920 No images are available, Search by name only.
Spain, Catholic Church Records, 1500-1930 Browsable images. To use you must first choose the province, then the city, then the record type you wish to view.
More parish records can be found on FamilySearch under the name of the diocese. To use these records, choose the province, click on Browse Images, or enter a name if a search engine is available. If no search engine is available, click on Browse Record, then choose the town, then the parish, and then the record type you wish to view. Records are available for the following:
Spain, Diocese of Ávila, Catholic Church Records, 1502-1975 Indexed records and browseable images.
Spain, Diocese of Lugo, Catholic Parish Records, 1550-1930 Indexed records only
Spain, Diocese of Santander, Catholic Church Records, 1538-1984 Browseable images.
Spain, Diocese of Segovia, Catholic Church Records, 1533-1987 Browseable images.
Other online sites
Online parish indexes for País Vasco can be found at the site Dokuklik
To view the separate sites of each province of País Vasco, click on the name of the province below.
- Alava Archivo Histórico Diocesano in Vitoria.
- Guipúzcoa Archivo Histórico Diocesano in San Sebastián.
- Vizcaya Archivo Histórico Diocesano in Bilbao
In Tarragona, the archdiocese is currently digitizing parish books and many can be found at the online site Arxiu Històric Arxidiocesà de Tarragona. To view the images, you must register for a free account. For more information about how to use the site please read the article Archdiocese of Tarragona Online Parish Records.
Need help reading the records?
- This page was last modified on 11 January 2014, at 19:53.
- This page has been accessed 243 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page