Sparham, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Mitford and Launditch PLU|
|Parish registers: 1573|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
SPARHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Eynsford, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. W.) from Reepham. 
Sparham St Mary the Virgin is an Ancient Parish in the county of Norfolk.
Sparham is a civil parish in the English Breckland district of the county of Norfolk.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Mitford 1837-1938
- East Dereham 1939-1974
Sparham, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Sparham, Norfolk Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 17.
Parish registers for Sparham Microfilm copy of original filmed at the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library in Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1573-1692. Baptisms, 1693-1767; marriages, 1693-1754; burials, 1692-1767. Baptisms, burials, 1761-1812. Baptisms, 1784-1796; marriages, 1783-1795; burials, 1783-1795; marriage banns, 1783-1795. Baptisms, 1813-1911. Marriages, 1755-1812; marriage banns, 1755-1802. Marriages, 1813-1836. Burials, 1813-1901. Marriage banns, 1824-1893. FHL BRITISH Film 1911508 Items 1 - 9 .
Archdeacons transcripts Microfilm copies of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library, Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Baptisms 1600-1610, 1623-1634, 1667-1811 Marriages 1602-1610, 1623-1633, 1675-1812 Burials 1600-1610, 1623-1634, 1667-1812 FHL BRITISH Film 1526782 Item 11.
There is a known issue England Vital Records Index (FamilySearch Historical Records) on this film and in indexing batch I07258-3. Incorrect place data entry may appear in the index. The images should be used to check index entries.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438855.
Poor Law Unions
Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14
Extent 137 pieces
The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.
All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.
Sparham Parish Chest material 1739-1844
Microfilm copy of original filmed at the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library in Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Contents: item 8. Guardian accounts, 1833-1836 -- item 9. Settlement certificates, 1739-1755-1782, 1790, 1800, 1834, 1844 -- item 10. Settlement examinations, 1754-1756, 1795, 1799, 1805, 1809-1810, 1818-1821, 1826, 1833 -- item 11. Removal orders, 1755-1762, 1784, 1795, 1802, 1811, 1817, 1821-1839 -- item 12. Bastardy bonds and orders, 1793, 1799-1831 -- item 13. Apprenticeship indentures, 1804-1838 -- item 14. Poor law papers, 1831 -- item 15. Emigration papers, 1836.
Norfolk Record Office Central Library call no.: PD 17/35-42.
Parish chest material, 1739-1844 FHL BRITISH Film 1911782 Items 8-15
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 156-159. Date accessed: 10 June 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- ↑ 'National Burial Index - Norfolk Coverage,' FindMyPast (WayBack Machine), accessed 16 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 24 April 2014, at 18:53.
- This page has been accessed 1,600 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki