St. Andrews, Moray, Scotland GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This is a guide to the history and major genealogical records of Scotland as they pertain to the parish of St.Andrews. To learn more about how to use these records to search for your ancestors, go to the Scotland: Research Strategies.
ANDREW'S LHANBRYDE, ST., a parish, in the county of Elgin, 3 miles (E.) from Elgin. To this parish, which was anciently called the barony of Kill-ma-Lemnock, Lhanbryde, signifying in Gaelic "The church of St. Bridget," was united in 1782, in addition to two other chapels that had been joined before the Reformation. The church is a commodious building, and will hold between 400 and 500 persons.
Lhanbyrd signifies in Gaelic the Church of St. Bridget. It was united to that of St. Andrew in 1782.
This parish had the credit of having preserved two Druidical monuments through all the mutations of nearly 300 years, until lately when, for the sorry purpose of forming material for a road, and uniting a little spot of pasturage to a corn field, one of these objects was annihilated. The other, at the distance scarcely of a mile, is nearly entire.
Where this parish presses so closely on the city of Elgin as to have the gentle Lossie only intervening, there are two manufacturing factories, the very respectable manufactory of wool, begun by Alexander Johnston, Esq. which employs about 50 people in making blankets, flannel of different degrees of fineness, fancy articles, chiefly of wool, which are all disposed of mostly in the county.
In this parish there is one public manufacture of malt. Mr. Brown carries on the business of a distiller at Linkwood, having invested a large capital in the requisite buildings and utensils, all in the most commodious arrangement, and of the most substantial construction, in the malting, grinding, brewing, distilling, and in the store.
The population of this parish in 1801 was 799 inhabitants, in 1821 the population was 934, and by 1891 it increased to 1087.
The kirk is a commodious for the people as in landward parishes kirks generally are. About 400 persons form the ordinary amount of the congregation. All the families in the parish, except three or four Dissenting or Seceding, attend the Established Church.
This account was written April 1835.
Source: The New Statistical Account of Scotland for St. Andrews, FHL book 941 B4sa, 2nd series, vol. 13.
The New Statistical Account of Scotland (pub. 1834-45) offers uniquely rich and detailed parish reports for the whole of Scotland, covering a vast range of topics including history, agriculture, education, trades, religion and social customs. The reports, written by the parish ministers, are available online at edina.($) Click on ‘Browse scanned pages’ then search the parish you are interested in. Also available at the Family History Library.
The History of the Parish of Langbride. A brief history of the parish of Langbride, with a list of Landowners in 1744. Article covers years 1208-1793. Article in The Lands and People of Moray. Family History Library Ref. 941.23 H2b pt 10. year 2002, pages 1-4.
The Parish of Lhanbryd after the Unification of the Parishes. A list of School masters and deates of service is given. A brief of notable events. A list of some of the pre-census inhabitants, gives name, date residence, relationship or reason for being mentioned, covers years 1766-1840 FHL Ref. 941.23 H2b pt 10, year 2002. pages 39-45.
A census is a count and description of the population, taken by the government, arranged by locality and by household. Read more about census records.
Here is a list of the Family History Library microfilm numbers for the census records of St. Andrews, as well as the library numbers for any surname indexes available:
|| FHL Film Number
|| Surname Indexes|
|| 6086568 (2 fiche)|
The 1901 census of Scotland is indexed on scotlandspeople.($) To use it, you must register and pay a small access fee. All available censuses, 1841-1901, are indexed on this website. It may be easier for you to pay to use the website rather than access the separate indexes through the library.
Kirkhill and Kirktoun of St. Andrews. A brief history of Kirkhill and Kirktoun with a list of pre-census inhabitants given with residence, occupation, reason for being listed, relationship in some instances. with a hand drawn map of Kirkhill and Kirktown of St. Andrews about 1780. Article in The Lands and People of Moray pt. 9 year 2002, pages 12-22. FHL Ref. 941.23 H2b.
Lockwood, Reiketslane, Boggs and Glassgreen. A brief history of these estates with some of the pre-census inhabitants of the area. Gives residence, relationship, and reason for being listed in many instances. Illustrated with hand-drawn maps of Linkwood about 1769, and another about 1780, a list of complaint from the Kirk session minutes, rentals of Linkwood 1769, and a grant dated 1664. Article covers years 1541-1860, Article in The Lands and People of Moray. pt. 9, year 2002. pages 23-40, 941.23 H2b
Newmills, Lesmurdie and Bareflathills. A brief history of these places. A list is given of pre-census inhabitants of the area, giving residence, relationships and reason for being listed. Illustrated with han drawn map of the estate of Newmills about 1820. Article in The Lands and People of Moray pt. 9, year 2002. pages 41-45. 941.23 H2b.
Pitgaveny and Inchbroom. Brief history of the estate of Pitgaveny and the Chapel of Inchbroom including a pre-census list of some of the inhabitants of the area, giving residence, relationship, and reason for being on the list. Illustrated hand drawn map of Pitgaveny in 1780. Article covers years 1040-1837, Article in The Lands and People of Moray pt. 9, year 2002. pages 46-53. Family History Library Ref. 941.23 H2b
Barmuckity, Waulkmill and Troves. A brief history of these lands including a list of some pre-census inhabitants of the area, giving name, date, occupation and or residence. Illustrated with hand drawn map of the estate of Barmuckity about 1780. Covers years 1434-1851, Article in The Lands and People of Moray. pt. 9, year 2002, pages 54-59. FHL Ref. 941.23 H2b
Calcots, Dunkity, and Foresterseat. A brief history of these named places with a list of pre-census inhabitants givin name, date, residence, occupation, reason for mention, illustrated with a hand drawn map of Calcots about 1780. Article covers years 1426-1846. Article in The Lands and People of Moray pt. 9, 2002 pages 60-65 FHL Ref. 941.23 H2b
The Former Parish of St. Andrews After the Unification of the Parishes. The unification of St. Andrews and Longbride parishes and agriculture improvements, includs a reduced list of pre-census inhabitants, who are mainly listed being on the Poor List. Article covers 1781-1840, in The Lands and People of Moray, pt. 9. year 2002, pages 66-70. FHL Ref. 941.23 H2b
The Village of Lhanbryd. A brief history of Lhanbryd with a pre-census list of inhabitants giving dates, relationship, residence or reason for listing. Illustrated hand-drawn maps of Longbride about 1700, and 1800 and the new village of lhanbryd in the late 19th Century. Article covers 1225-1851 in The Lands and people of Moray pt. 10 year 2002 pages 5-19, FHL Ref. 941.23 H2b
Coxton and Cotts. Brief history of the estates of Coxton and Cotts, with pre-census list of inhabitants fiving date, relationship, residence or reason for listing. Hand drawn map about 1750 of Coxton and Cotts. Article covers years 1529-1851 in The Lands and People of Moray pt 10. year 2002 pages 20-25. FHL Ref. 941.23 H2b.
Pittensair and Hatton. Same as above but also has copy of the Disposition by James Chalmer in favour of John Maver 1660. Article covers years 1225-1846. in the above named journal pt. 10, year 2002 pages 31-38. FHL Ref. 941.23 H2b
Sherrifston and Darklands. A brief history of Sherrifston, and mainly the murder of William Ritchie in 1833 and the aftermath. A listing of some pre-census inhabitants showing name, date, residence, relationship or reason for being mentioned, illustrated with had drawn map of Sheriffston and Darklands about 1750. Article covers years 1528-1847. The Lands and People of Moray. 941.23H2b part 10 year 2002, pages 26-30.
Cranloch and Teinland. Save as above, with hand drawn map about 1800 of Teindland and Cranloch. Article covers years 1753-1846. Family History Library Ref. 941.23 H2b part 10, year 2002, pages 36-38.
Threapland and the Southern Parts of the Parish. Same as above with list of pre-census inhabitants. Hand drawn map of Threapland and Bauds about 1750, and a facsimile of record of hanging of Kenneth Leal. Article covers years 1545-1849. The Lands and People of Moray. 941.23 H2b part 13, 2003 pages 76-79.
The Established Church of Scotland was Presbyterian. Read more about church records.
Here are the pre-1855 records that exist for this parish.
Established Church—Old Parochial Registers
|Record Type||Years Covered||FHL Film Number|
|Births:|| 1701-1816 (St. Andrews)
|Marriages:||1762-1823 (St. Andrews)||0990810|
||1820-1824, 1838-1854 (St Andrews)||0990810|
Condition of Original Registers—
Indexed: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index available on computer at the Family History Library and family history centers. Some of these records may be indexed and searchable on familysearch.org.
Births: There are duplicate birth entries for May 1727–November 1729 and two pages of irregular entries for 1741–1792 at the beginning of the record. Birth entries are somewhat irregular after 1813.
Marriages: Marriage entries from May 1727–November 1729 are contained on one page. After November 1729 there are only eight entries for 1743–1745, which are interspersed through a duplicate of the register of baptisms for that period.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.
Established Church—Kirk Session records
The Kirk session was the court of the parish. The session was made up of the minister and the land owners and business men of the parish, chosen to serve on the session. The Kirk session dealt with moral issues, minor criminal cases, matters of the poor and education, matters of discipline, and the general concerns of the parish. Kirk session records may also mention births, marriages, and deaths.
Here is a list of the surviving Kirk session records for this parish:
Minutes and Accounts 1701–1920
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/317.
The History of the Parish of St. Andrews. This article covers the history of the Parish of St. Andrews with a copy from the Kirk Session Minutes regarding the burning down of the Church in 1727. Covers years 1040-1821. Article in The Lands and People of Moray. pt. 9 year 2002 pages 1-11. Family History Library Ref. 941.23 H2b
Nonconformist Church Records
A nonconformist church is any church that is not the Established church. Read more about nonconformity in Scotland in the article on the Scotland Church Records Union List.
There are no known nonconformist groups.
Civil Registration Records
Government or civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths (also called statutory records) began on January 1, 1855 in Scotland. Each parish has a registrar's office and large cities have several. The records are created by the registrars and copies are sent to the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Annual indexes are then created for the records for the whole country.
See the article on Scotland Civil Registration for more information and to access the records.
Land and Property
St. Andrews was under the probate jurisdiction of the Commissary Court of Moray until 1823, and since then has been under the Sheriff's Court of Elgin. Probate records for 1513- 1901 are indexed online at scotlandspeople.($) You must register on the website but use of the index to probate records, called 'Wills & Testaments,' is free. You may then purchase a copy of the document or, if the document is before 1823, it will be on microfilm at the Family History Library. To find the microfilm numbers, search in the library catalog for the 'Place-names' of Moray and the subject of 'Probate records.' Then click on the link to the records of the Commissariat of Moray.
The library also has some post-1823 probate records for Moray. Look in the library catalog for the 'Place-names' of Moray and the subjects of 'Probate Records' and 'Probate Records - Indexes.'
Read more about Scotland Probate Records.
Return to Moray parish list.
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:54.
- This page has been accessed 2,073 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More