St. Johns County, FloridaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to St. Johns County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|St. Johns County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||July 21, 1821|
|County Seat||Saint Augustine|
St. Johns County Courthouse
4010 Lewis Speedway Blvd; PO Box 300
Saint Augustine, FL 32085
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce records from 1900,
court and land records from 1821, marriage and probate records. 
1821--St. Johns was created 21 July 1821 as an original county.
County seat: Saint Augustine 
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Florida counties see: Florida Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing St. Johns County, Florida census records online, see: Florida Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
BillionGraves images and transcriptions:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- St. Augustine
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for St. Johns County, Florida. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
The 1890 Census Veterans Schedules for St. Francis Barracks in St. Augustine Florida are available on roll 118 of "Special Schedules of the Eleventh Census (1890) Enumerating Union Veterans and Widows of Union Veterans of the Civil War" (NARA M123). The schedules list veterans and their widows who served as Union soldiers in the Civil War. For more information on the 1890 Veterans Schedules see Union Census Records.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as St. Johns County, Florida newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the St. Johns County, Florida Clerk of Court and are housed at the St. Johns County, Florida Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Florida Probate Records, 1784-1990. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1823-1880 - St. Johns County Marriage Book B Index 1823-1880. Batch M513261 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1880-1885 - St. Johns County Marriage Book C Index 1880-1885. Batch M513262 at FamilySearch - free.
- St. Johns County, Florida Obituary and Funeral Notice Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. From Various Funeral Homes in the St. Augustine, St. Augustine Beach, Hastings, Elkton, and Switzerland areas.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- St. Johns County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Saint Johns County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- St. Johns County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), St Johns County, Florida Page 137 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/3f/Igifloridamz.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 26 January 2015, at 04:11.
- This page has been accessed 6,913 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More