St. Louis County, MinnesotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to St. Louis County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|St. Louis County, Minnesota|
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||March 1, 1856|
|Address|| St. Louis County Courthouse|
100 N 5th Ave W
Duluth, MN 55802-1202
St. Louis County Website
Clerk District Court has birth, death and marriage records from 1870,
burial permits from 1938, divorce, court and land records from 1859.
County Court has probate records. 
- 1856--St. Louis County was created 1 March 1856 from Itasca County. County seat: Duluth 
- For a brief history of how St. Louis County was named, click here, then select St. Louis County.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
First Lutheran Church, Duluth
- Records of First Lutheran Church, Duluth, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Orr, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. Louis County
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, St. Louis County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, St. Louis – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for St. Louis County, Minnesota. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as St. Louis County, Minnesota newspapers in online catalogs like:
Duluth Public Library has an Index to Obituaries printed in the Duluth News-Tribune and Duluth Herald newspapers from 1962 to the present.
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
St. Louis County Death Record Index covering the time period from January 1, 1870 through December 31, 2000. Hosted by Rootsweb
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), St Louis County, Minnesota page 368, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- This page was last modified on 2 December 2014, at 23:56.
- This page has been accessed 6,416 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More