St. Marys Whitechapel Parish, VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St. Mary's Whitechapel Parish has served Lancaster County, Virginia for three centuries. In 1752, the parish was officially united with Christ Church Parish, but the church building is still in use today.
Some authorities split the word "Whitechapel" into two words: "White Chapel."
- bef 1669
The cemetery is in use.
- Woolverton, John F. "Address Commemorating The 300th Anniversary of St. Mary's White Chapel, Lancaster County, Virginia," Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Magazine, Vol. 19 (1969). Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- Nicholson, Charles A. "St. Mary's White Chapel, Lancaster County, Virginia," Genealogical Society of Tidewater Virginia. Its Bulletina, Vol. 9 (1978):181-189. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
Colonial parish registers do not survive.
- Tupper, Margaret H. Vestry Book, 1739-1786: Christ Church Parish, Lancaster County, Virginia. Online bookstore. Available at Virginia Historical Society. Includes St. Mary's White Chapel Parish records.
- St. Mary's Whitechapel Episcopal Church (official website)
- St. Mary's Whitechapel Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- St. Mary's White Chapel, The Historical Marker Database
- ↑ Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Margaret Lester Hill and Clyde H. Ratcliffe, In Remembrance: Gravestone Inscriptions and Burials of Lancaster County, Virginia (White Stone, Va.: M.L. Hill and C.H. Ratcliffe, 2002).
- ↑ William Meade, Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia, 2 vols. (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott and Co., 1861). Digital versions at Internet Archive: Vol. I and Vol. II.
- ↑ Colonial Churches: A Series of Sketches of Churches in the Original Colony of Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Southern Churchman Co., 1907), 195-199.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:15.
- This page has been accessed 3,844 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More