St. Pauls Parish, Hanover, VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St. Paul's Parish has served New Kent and Hanover counties. "The Old Church," also called Immanuel Church, belonged to this parish. Slash Church (erected 1729-1732), served as the parish's Upper Church.
"An Act for dividing the Parish of Saint Paul, in Hanover County" (1726) culled from Colonial Office at the National Archives in London, is published in:
- Chamberlayne, Churchill G. "Seven Parish Acts Heretofore Unpublished," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 18, No. 1 (Jan. 1938):106-118. FHL Book 973 H25w; digital version at JSTOR ($).
Colonial parish registers have been lost.
- Chamberlayne, C.G. The Vestry Book of St. Paul's Parish, Hanover County, Virginia, 1706-1786. Richmond: The Library Board, 1940. Original edition: FHL US/CAN Book 975.5462 K2c; digital versions at: Ancestry ($), FamilySearch Books Online
- Cocke, William Ronald. Hanover County Taxpayers, Saint Paul's Parish, 1782-1815. Columbia, Va.: W.R. Cocke, 1956. Compiled from personal property tax lists.
- Immanuel Episcopal Church, The Diocese of Virginia (official site)
- Slash Church 1729 History
- "The Old Church," The Historical Marker Database
- Slash Church, The Historical Marker Database
- ↑ "A Detailed History of Immanuel," Immanuel Episcopal Church, The Diocese of Virginia, accessed 28 February 2011.
- ↑ Slash Church, The Historical Marker Database
- ↑ Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- ↑ William Meade, Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia, 2 vols. (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott and Co., 1861). Digital versions at Internet Archive: Vol. I and Vol. II.
- This page was last modified on 12 April 2014, at 19:16.
- This page has been accessed 5,376 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page