St Agnes, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to St Agnes, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Agnes, Cornwall|
Image:St Agnes Church Cornwall.jpg
|Poor Law Union||Truro PLU|
|Parish registers: 1653|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1596|
|Probate Court||A Peculiar of the Court of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
AGNES (ST.), a market-town and parish, in the union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Pyder, and of Cornwall, 8½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Truro, and 263 (W.) from London. There are places of worship for Bryanites, Independents, and Wesleyans. 
St Agnes is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Cornwall, created in 1846 from chapelry in Perranzabuloe, Cornwall Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Mingoose, Porthtowan, Skinners Bottom, Trevellas, Trevellas Downs, Blackwater, Croscombe, Cross Combe, Goodnown, Goonbell, and Goonown.
The church of St Agnes was a chapel-of-ease only (St Agnes was made into a parish in 1846). The parish church is 15th century in date but has been much restored in recent times.
Mount Hawke, Cornwall was created from part of the parish in 1847.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
St Agnes, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|St Agnes, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
||1690-1712, 1726-1732, 1741-1845, 1888-1938|| |
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P2/1/1-27, 31-41, 47.
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish.
The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for St Agnes.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241271.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
St Agnes in GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 15-17. Date accessed: 20 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Database Coverage,' Cornwall Parish Register Index, accessed 1 February 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 15 August 2014, at 15:55.
- This page has been accessed 1,866 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki