St Albans, Hertfordshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|St Albans, Hertfordshire|
|Hundred||St Albans Borough|
|Poor Law Union||St Albans PLU|
|Registration District||St Albans|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1570|
|Rural Deanery||St Albans|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - London; Post-1844 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of St Albans|
|Location of Archive|
|Hertfordshire Record Office|
St. Albans, is a borough and market-town, and the head of a union, locally in the hundred of Cashio, or liberty of St. Alban's, county of Hertford, 12½ miles (W. by S.) from Hertford, and 20 (N. W. by N.) from London; with those portions of the parishes of St. Michael and St. Peter which extend beyond the limits of the borough. There are places of worship for Particular Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyans, and Unitarians. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
St Albans Abbey parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|St Albans Abbey Parish Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288834.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hertfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
St Albans Abbey on GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831. Adapted. Date accessed: 11 January 2014.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 13 December 2013.
- ↑ 'The Hertfordshire Collection,' findmypast, accessed 4 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Marriages and Marriage Licences (1538-1922),' Hertfordshire County Council, accessed 6 March 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hertford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 11 December 2013.
- ↑ Hertfordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 12 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 12 December 2013.
- This page was last modified on 13 June 2015, at 14:42.
- This page has been accessed 992 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News