St Allen, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to St Allen, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Allen, Cornwall|
St Allen Church, Cornwall
|Poor Law Union||Truro PLU|
|Parish registers: 1680|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1611|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
ALLEN, ST. (St. Alleyn), a parish, in the union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Powder and of Cornwall, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Truro. 
St Allen is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall
The manor of Cargoll included St Allen and it was in the possession of the bishops of Exeter from 1269 (the manor house was at Lanner). From 1287 the patrons of the living were the canons of Glasney College.)
St Allen parish church was built in the Norman period but enlarged by the addition of the south aisle in the 15th century (the dedication is to St Alunus or Alleyne) Little is known of this saint but he has been identified with a Breton bishop of Quimper who came from Wales.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
St Allen parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ST ALLEN PARISH Online Records|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 3
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish.
The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for St Allen.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241269.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
St Allen in GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 34-37. Date accessed: 20 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 10 September 2014, at 14:59.
- This page has been accessed 1,254 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki