St Bartholomew the GreatEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
London St Bartholomew the Great ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Bartholomew the Great|
|Hundred||London, Within the Walls|
|Poor Law Union||West London PLU|
|Registration District||West London|
|Parish registers: 1616|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1665-66; 1807|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of London|
|Location of Archive|
|London Record Office|
A history was published in 1894:
- Moore, Norman. The Church of St. Bartholomew the Great, West Smithfield: Its Foundation, Present Condition, and Funeral Monuments. London: Adlard and Son, 1894. Digitised by Google Books.
St. Bartholomew the Great is a parish, in the City of London Without the Walls. The patron is Trustees of the late W. Phillips, Esq.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Farringdon Ward Without - Greate Saynt Bertholmeus, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Farringdon Ward Without - St Bartholomewes the Grete, courtesy: British History Online
- London Subsidy Roll, c.1589 - St. Bartholmewes ye Great FamilySearch Books Online, courtesy: Family History Archives (see page 160)
- St Bartholomew the Great, Farringdon Without Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/505); copy: FHL Film 2228702.
- St Bartholomew the Great, Farringdon Without Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/515); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
1638 Inhabitants List
1666 Hearth Tax
1692-1932 Land Taxes
Add unique information about the censuses. Add links to online census records, and/or link to the Family History Library film/fiche numbers.
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Before 1858, St Bartholomew the Great fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Archdeaconry of London. In practice, many residents left their wills in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury from the 1700s through 1858. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Transcripts of early St Bartholomew the Great tombs found in the interior of the church were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Records of the Poor
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Web Sites(The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).
- London Family History Centre Catalogue
- Saint Bartholomew the Great, West Smithfield (official website). Photographs, history, visitor directions.
- Sketch of St Bartholomew the Great Parish Church, courtesy: London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Bartholomew the Great')
- ↑ James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 129-170 Adapted. Date accessed: 12 November 2013.
- ↑ London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Bartholomew the Great in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Bartholomew the Great in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Bartholomew the Great in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Bartholomew the Great in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ Batch C022732, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts.
- ↑ Batch M022301, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register xxx.
- ↑ 'Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ John Hanson, 'City of London Burials,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- ↑ 'Greater London Burials: Middlesex and City of London Burials: Parishes, Counts and References,' British Origins, (£) accessed 4 April 2013.
- ↑ "About Archdeaconry Court of London Wills Index 1750-1800", British Origins, accessed 23 December 2011.
- ↑ Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Norman Moore, The Church of St. Bartholomew the Great, West Smithfield: Its Foundation, Present Condition, and Funeral Monuments (London: Adlard and Son, 1894).
- ↑ Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- This page was last modified on 4 November 2014, at 22:41.
- This page has been accessed 3,475 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page