St Decuman's, SomersetEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to St Decuman's, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Decuman's, Somerset|
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law Union||Williton PLU|
|Parish registers: 1600|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1609|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of St Decumans|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
DECUMANS (St.), a parish in Williton district, Somerset; on the coast, at the Watchet terminus of the West Somerset railway. It contains the town of Watchet, the chapelry and workhouse of Williton, and the hamlets of Eagrove, Lyddymore, Doniford, Ridon, Stickland, Wibble, Wibblegate, Highbridge, Watering-Place, Five Bells, Churchtown, Whitehall, Stream, Yard, Timwood, Hayne, Bardon, Tomblands, Shelves, and part of Washford. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Methodists.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
St Decuman's, Somerset parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|MARR = Somerset Marriages (findmypast) - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|WEST = West Somerset Parish Register Transcriptions - free|
|St Decuman's, Somerset Parish Online Records|
||1602-1665, 1747-1855|| |
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474607.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72. Date accessed and adapted: 25 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 13 February 2014.
- ↑ Somerset Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 21 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 30 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- ↑ West Somerset Parish Register Transcriptions, accessed 22 October 2013.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 22:00.
- This page has been accessed 1,298 times.