St Martin LudgateEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
London St Martin Ludgate family history and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers (baptisms, christenings, marriages, and burials), civil registration (births, marriages, and deaths), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and website resources.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Aldersgate Ward - Precynct of Seint Martene le Graunde, courtesy: British History Online
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Farringdon Ward Within - The Parte of Seynt Martyns Parish at Ludgate, courtesy: British History Online
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Farringdon Ward Without - Saynt Martyns Parysshe, courtesy: British History Online
- St Martin, Ludgate, Farringdon Within Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/151); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- St Martin, Ludgate, Farringdon Without Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/145); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Farringdon Ward Within - St Martens Parishe Within Ludgate, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Farringdon Ward Without - St Martyns Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- St Martin, Ludgate, Farringdon Without Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/505); copy: FHL Film 2228702.
- St Martin, Ludgate, Farringdon Without Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/537); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
- St Martin, Ludgate, Farringdon Ward Within, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/555); copy: FHL Film 2228704.
1638 Inhabitants List
- St Martin, Ludgate, Farringdon Ward Within, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/590 Part 14); copy: FHL Film 2228704.
- St Martin, Ludgate, Farringdon Ward Without, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/600); copy: FHL Film 2228704.
1666 Hearth Tax
1692-1932 Land Taxes
1695 Inhabitants Lists
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Before 1858, St Martin Ludgate fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Archdeaconry of London. In practice, many residents left their wills in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury from the 1700s through 1858. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
CemeteryCatalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
"The ancient church was destroyed by the great fire in 1666, after which the present church was erected for the designs of Sir Christopher Wren. It is a rectory in the city, diocese and archdeaconry of London,and in the patronage of the Bishop of London."
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Web sites(The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).
- ↑ London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Martin, Ludgate in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Martin Ludgate in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Martin Ludgate in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Martin Ludgate in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ Batches C021602, P021601, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register xxx.
- ↑ "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- ↑ John Hanson, "City of London Burials," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- ↑ "Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches," British Origins, accessed 4 July 2011.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ "About Archdeaconry Court of London Wills Index 1750-1800", British Origins, accessed 23 December 2011.
- ↑ Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Andrew Oliver, A List of Monumental Brasses in the City of London Churches (1891). Digitized by Internet Archive.
- ↑ James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.
- This page was last modified on 14 November 2012, at 17:50.
- This page has been accessed 856 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More