St Merryn, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to St Merryn, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Merryn, Cornwall|
St Merryn contributor Bill Henderson
|Poor Law Union||St Columb Major PLU|
|Registration District||St Columb|
|Parish registers: 1688|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1616|
|Probate Court||A Peculiar of the Court of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
MERRYN, ST., a parish, in the union of St. Columb Major, hundred of Pyder, E. division of Cornwall, 2¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Padstow. There are places of worship for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists.
The parish church was dedicated to St Marina & later St Thomas the Martyr. It is now dedicated to St Merryn.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
St Merryn, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|St Merryn, Cornwall Online Parish Records|
||1688-1795, 1813-1893|| |
|FS PRs||1688-1900||1688-1906||1688-1797, 1813-1893|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 145
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish. The Online Parish Clerk for St Merryn is Susan Old and she also holds linked family pedigress for other parishes including St Eval, Cornwall, St Ervan, Cornwall, St Mawgan and St Columb Major, Cornwall.
Contact with Susan can be made by the link on the St Merryn Cornwall online Parish Clerks page and her extensive work is a valuable resource for research in the district.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241272.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
St Merryn in GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 291-295. Date accessed: 25 March 2013
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 3 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 27 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 30 November 2014, at 06:22.
- This page has been accessed 1,002 times.