St Mewan, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to St Mewan, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Mewan, Cornwall|
St Mark's Mission Church, Sticker Cornwall
|Poor Law Union||St Austell PLU|
|Registration District||St Austell|
|Parish registers: 1693|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
MEWAN, ST., a parish, in the union of St. Austell, E. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 1 mile (W. by S.) from St. Austell. 
An Anglican church was designed by the architect George Edmund Street in 1848/49, but was presumably never built. The current St Mark's Mission Church was designed by James Piers St Aubyn and opened in 1877. St Mark's is effectively a chapel of ease for the parish church at St Mewan.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
St Mewan, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|St Mewan, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||1607-1692, 1829-1900||1607-1692, 1837-1906||1607-1692, 1850-1925|
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 148
At the time of Publication the way points for the burial registers were incorrectly compiled. This matter awaits correction by engineers. The digital images were compiled from two filmings of the burial register and the microfilm conversion has given rise to two loadings of the 1887-1900 burial register, with an error in the volume number on one waypoint.
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/l_m/mewan_st.php
The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for St Mewan.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241268.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/st-mewan-st-mewan/ for information about the parish
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-71432-church-of-st-mewan-st-mewan British Listed building
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 298-301. Date accessed: 25 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 3 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 27 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 22 May 2014, at 22:09.
- This page has been accessed 1,037 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki