St Michael Penkevil, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to St Michael Penkevil, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Michael Penkevil, Cornwall|
|Poor Law Union||Truro PLU|
|Parish registers: 1546|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
MICHAEL, ST., PENKEVIL, a parish, in the union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Tregoney. St Michael Penkevil ( or Penkivil) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Motherlane.
The church is close to Tregothnan in a wooded setting: it was built in the 13th and 14th centuries and well restored by G. E. Street in 1862. There are some fine monuments to members of the notable local family of Boscawen.. The church contains the brass of John Trembras, rector of the parish, d. 1515, and others of John Trenowyth, 1498, Marie Coffin, née Boscawen, 1622, John Boscawen, d. 1564, engraved 1634
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
St Michael Penkevil, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|St Michael Penkevil, Cornwall Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1546-1662||1546-1904||1546-1662, 1800-1899|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 150
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish.
The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Penkevil.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241270.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
St Michael Penkevil in GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 298-301. Date accessed: 25 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 3 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Database Coverage,' Cornwall Parish Register Index, accessed 1 February 2014.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 27 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 30 November 2014, at 06:22.
- This page has been accessed 1,090 times.