St Thomas by Launceston, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to St Thomas by Launceston, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
THOMAS, ST., THE APOSTLE, a parish, in the union and parliamentary borough of Launceston, N. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall. 
St Thomas-by-Launceston is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cornwall, created in 1726 from chapelry in Launceston St Mary Magdalene Ancient Parish.Other places in the parish include: St Thomas Street. Historically part of the Diocese of Exeter until the creation of the Diocese of Truro.
The Parish of St Thomas-by-Launceston is located in the Anglican Diocese of Truro and is attached to the Deanery of Trigg Major in the Archdeaconry of Bodmin. It is now part of the United Parish of Launceston, the other parts being St Stephen by Launceston, Cornwall and Launceston St Mary Magdalene, Cornwall
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
St Thomas Street parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|COPC = Cornwall Online Parish Clerks - free|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|St Thomas Street Parish Online Records|
Overview, Include information for parish registers and Bishop's Transcripts, Contact information for the office holding the original records, Links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Images of parish register transcript are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Transcript of registers 1563-1812 by Robert Jago M.A.
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/l_m/launceston_thomas.php
The history registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Launceston Phillipa Stout.
a. Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241258. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Cornwall Online Census Project for census details
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [county] Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
- ↑ Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 328-330. Date accessed: 23 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 1 February 2014, at 23:58.
- This page has been accessed 565 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More