Staten Island, New YorkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
In 1898 the five boroughs consolidated into New York City. Each borough's border matches its county's border. This Wiki lists the most data about these at the county level except Brooklyn.
1664 Yorkshire became the first large government unit (not actually a county) organized by New York after the English took control from the Netherlands. It was divided into three ridings including West Riding (Staten Island, Brooklyn, and modern Elmhurst in Queens). 
1683 New York extinguished Yorkshire, creating Richmond County from part of Yorkshire. 
1687 Administrative divisions were started which eventually evolved into townships. 
1898 The five boroughs were consolidated into New York City, and her county governments were dissolved. Staten Island joined New York City as the Borough of Richmond. 
1975 The Borough of Richmond was officially renamed the Borough of Staten Island. 
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Wikipedia contributors, "York Shire (Province of New York)" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Shire_(Province_of_New_York) (accessed 16 December 2011).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Kathryn Ford Thorne, New York Atlas of Historical County Boundaries (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1993), 157. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974.7 E7t.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Wikipedia contributors, "Staten Island" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staten_Island (accessed 16 December 2011).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Borough (New York City)" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Boroughs (accessed 16 December 2011).
- This page was last modified on 10 January 2012, at 18:59.
- This page has been accessed 803 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page